Monday, June 6, 2011

"So What's Your Type?"

My best friend and I had this discussion the other day. I think the fact that I haven't really had a type has made my online dating venture flatline.

I know what you're thinking: There have got to be some similarities between the men you have dated before. There are, but they're really cosmetic and random. This too is probably isn't helping my cause.

They've been good cooks
Green-eyed men tend to find me
If they aren't getting hard ons over football, then they certainly are with hockey
Guitarists

Really, the things they have in common are things that don't matter to me. I've talked to men and women alike who insist they only date redheads/date athletes/date musicians.

How picky can one be?! I guess I'd rather date a series of coincidences than pigeonhole men into categories. Can you imagine? The conversation would probably go like this:

"Yeah, he was a redhead. Love that. Except he never drives when we go out, he's rude to others in public, and he hates his mother. I love that those redheads are so hot-headed!"

Ok fine. This is exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. This girl will then want to find another redhead to come into her life, and she'll put up with this nonsense and hope that she found the right redhead, and not the right man. See that gingers? I'M ROOTING FOR YOU!

Am I being to cynical again? I do that a lot...

I know a lot of girls out there understand where I'm coming from. Friends have suggested I keep an open mind about online dating. I have to a degree! This has been difficult to adjust. That being said, I think I'll just leave online dating to the birds (for now) and focus on waiting for something to happen.

Don't worry. I'm not just going to sit here like a princess and wait for him to slay dragons to save me. In fact, princesses annoy me, and would rather befriend the dragon for he is probably just misunderstood. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to spill coffee on a nice guy. He'll be so nice about it, he'll want to talk more over coffee that's still in his cup.

Ever the eternal optimist, the cup is still and always shall be half full.

No comments:

Post a Comment