Monday, October 24, 2011

Been Busy Not Dating

Every once in awhile when you're a single girl, you hear the phrase "It'll happen when you least expect it." I'm here to tell you that sometimes it's okay to give your destiny a little boost.

I went through a little slump. I dated another guy I met online. He was another sailor who was 23-years-old and worked on planes. And he was just as awkward. I was completely ready to give up on dating the minute he corrected the bartender on his beer knowledge AND fully admitted to cooking rabbit regularly. Ladies and gentleman: there are many things to not disclose on a first date. These are a few of them. Seriously, There are other ways to impress me. Humility and not cooking cute animals, for example. I was losing hope, especially since this was less than 15 minutes into our beer date. Thank God for good beer...

Luckily I've had other hobbies to distract me. I was growing weary of crying to God in my car, wondering why if I'm so great as people make me out to be, I'm still resorting to online dating and meeting weirdos. I know. I definitely just answered my own question there. The whole experience is exhausting. Like Audrey Hepburn said, "I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it."

Don't get me wrong. I am fully capable of being by myself and creating my own happiness, but I'm at the point in my life where I really want to share life's simple adventures with a wonderful man. And honestly, unless I really think outside the box, I'm not going to meet him. I just want a man to help me pick out paint samples and bake cupcakes for after we argue whether or not it's eggshell or ivory. Isn't that every girl's dream?!

Not going to lie, it gets kind of exhausting having the following conversation:

Well-intentioned human being: Oh wow, Jax Single Girl. Where's your boyfriend?
Me: What boyfriend?
Flustered well-intentioned human being: Oh, I was wondering where he was because I never see him!
Me: That's because there is no boyfriend.
Simply embarrassed individual: Oh...hope this wasn't awkward
Me: Not in the least.

As a result of my recent misadventures and awkward conversations, I've become the kind of girl who throws herself into a project. I've learned that when you're passionate about something, it can heighten your senses. That's right, baby. I was back in the jungle! And I also learned that when you're a regular somewhere, you see the same people over and over again, but by casually observing them, you learn something new about that place, the person, and even yourself.

Lately, for some reason, I was noticing this quiet, focused guy on his laptop. There are always many people on laptops farting around at coffee shops, but this one was different. He never got distracted by his surroundings. There would be a group of people sitting with him, and he'd pay them no mind. And yes, he is kinda cute. However, I was too distracted myself, trying to get my own work done to really worry about Coffee Shop Boy.

And then...he shows up at my workplace. It's funny how different people look in the daylight as opposed to being covered in the sheen of coffee steam and dim lights of night. I stammered doing the standard customer service speech to him. He was distracting. I found myself thinking about it even more. Since I wasn't in a state of disarray in my car in a well-lit public parking space crying to God, I thought He'd appreciate it if I calmly and logically asked Him a question: Should I be paying attention?

And why oh why, did I have to start tripping over myself  trying to talk to him? I talk to many good-looking (and not-so-good-looking men) everyday. How is this any different? I think that if God held out a long pointy stick at this point, He was poking me to get my attention. And once again, I thought of my conversation with a good friend about trusting my gut. I thought to myself that every time I have listened to my gut since the start of these dating adventures, it's been right.

So what happens now? I broke new ground, and it was completely worth it. Want to know more?

That's for the next post. For now, I'll leave you with this: Whether it's the aroma or the hoards of random activity, there is something about coffee shops that help you connect with people in ways you'd never imagine.



No comments:

Post a Comment